VIEW NOW! Beyond #NoDAPL: Self-Determination & “Traditional” Education.
Thank you to everyone who joined SAGE on Monday, December 21st for the third installment of our monthly talk series, Anpetu Wi Dialogues from Standing Rock:
Panelists Alayna Eagle Shield, Kimimila Locke, Sunshine Rose Claymore, and SAGE Development Authority board chair Fawn Wasin Zi covered topics such as:
- The cultural and spiritual significance of the Winter Solstice.
- The roots of “colonization” as a mindset, and the critical importance of decolonization to creating a self-determined future for Indigenous peoples.
- The truth that you do not need permission to use your voice – to be heard!
- The roots and the future of Mní Wičhóni Nakíčižiŋ Wóuŋspe (The Defenders of the Water School), which began at the #NoDAPL Oceti Sakowin camp.
- Community-driven education, and the power of educating Native children the Native way.
To view the conversation on Youtube, click here:
You Might Also Like
On Tuesday, August 11, 2020, SAGE Development Authority General Manager Joseph McNeil Jr. participated in a live interview via Zoom with Helene D. Gayle CEO of The Chicago Community Trust, one of the nation’s leading community foundations. The Trust works with donors, nonprofits, community leaders and residents to lead and inspire philanthropic efforts that improve […]
SAGE general manager Joseph McNeil Jr. joined KX News “Town Hall” meeting this past Thursday, August 20, for a conversation on Race in the Dakotas. Retired Bismarck police chief Dan Donlin, community advocate Ernest Usher, and North Dakota Legislative Representative Ruth Buffalo were also participants. The meeting was a candid discussion on protests, stereotypes, and […]